mico · 3 · 1153

Online mico

• PT Author
  • Certified Member 1
  • Whoever tells the best story wins.

The Marawi Siege Timeline and Why Martial was Declared in Mindanao

May 23, 2017

Around 2 p.m.:

Heavy and sporadic firefight ensues in Barangay Basak Malutlut, Marawi City between the military and an undetermined number of armed men.

They were later identified as the Maute group, composed of 15 members.

Initial reports say the Maute group ambushed military forces.

But AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla claims the military actually initiated the pursuit operation after Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon, who they learned was in the area.

After the 2 p.m. initial firefight, more firefight follow in many areas in the city.

Around 5 p.m.:

Unofficial reports say the Amai Pakpak Medical Center is occupied by the Maute group, where they've reportedly raised their black flag in place of the Philippine flag.

The group is allegedly holding the entire hospital hostage.

At about the same time, the Western Mindanao Command says government forces have contained majority of the militants in one area.

However, it says some of group's sympathizers conducted diversionary tactics in other locations to divide the attention of the reinforcing AFP personnel.

Past 7 p.m.:

Reports say the Marawi Police Station and the Marawi City Jail are taken over by the Maute group.

8 p.m.:

In an interview with CNN Philippines, AFP Chief Gen. Eduardo Año clarifies the AFP and PNP were actually going after Isnilon Hapilon in Marawi, while the Maute group in the city's outskirts tried to help Hapilon.

He also says they are already in full control of Marawi, adding there are less than 50 Maute members scattered in they city.

Año reports 1 was killed, and 8 soldiers were wounded in the clash.

Capt. Jo-an Petinglay of the Western Mindanao Command warns the public against  disinformation circulating on social media.

She says reports of the takeover of a hospital and the burning of the city jail are not true, and that there are only 10 to 15 members of the Maute group in the city, instead of the reported 250 to 300 members.

8:30 p.m.:

In an interview with CNN Philippines, Marawi City Mayor Majul Gandamra calls on the government for reinforcements, as they do not see military and police forces in the immediate vicinity.

He says there are no ongoing gunfights because the military is not even present.

He says the whole city no longer has electricity. He appeals to the Maute group not to enter city hall or any government facilities.

But several eyewitnesses and residents tell CNN Philippines they are still hearing continuous gunfire in the area that evening.

9:40 p.m.:

In an interview with CNN Philippines, ARMM Governor Mujiv Hataman says there was an attempt to wreak havoc in Marawi.

He adds citizens should have relayed information to the authorities.

Hataman also comments on Maute's lack of respect for the upcoming Ramadan.

From 8-10 p.m.:

Several reports show the Dansalan College Marawi is being burned down.

Some netizens are reporting the Maute members have killed teachers in schools and civilians, and targeted cellular towers.

10:30 p.m.:

Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella in a statement says President Rodrigo Duterte has full confidence in the AFP and the PNP's management of the situation.

Vice President Leni Robredo also expresses her confidence to the military in resolving the situation.

In an interview from Russia, National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon says the President is aware of the situation in Marawi.

Also, in an interview with CNN Philippines, 1st Infantry Division Spokesperson Lt. Col. Jo-ar Herrera says their troops clashed with more or less 50 Maute members, but the military is already on top of the situation. He says they were no longer seeing ISIS flags.

He adds they are acting on the information that the Maute group has taken over several establishments and that civilians are being killed.

11 p.m.:

AFP Public Affairs Office Chief Marine Col. Edgardo Arevalo in a briefing says the situation in Marawi has stabilized and security forces are in full control of the situation.

Arevalo also says the Marawi City Hall is not occupied as earlier reported merely quoting "sources."

11:20 p.m.:

President Rodrigo Duterte declares Martial Law over Mindanao.

Secretary Abella announces this in a press conference from Moscow.

DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano says President Duterte will be cutting his Russia trip short to come back to the Philippines.

DND Secretary Delfin Lorenzana confirms joint elements of the Army and the Police were trying to serve a warrant of arrest on Isnilon Hapilon when they were fired upon by the group of Hapilon Isnilon.

He also confirms the Maute group had burned several facilities: the St. Mary's Church, the city jail, the Ninoy Aquino School, and the Dansalan College.

He says three government troops were killed, along with one PNP and two Army officers. Twelve were wounded.

The whole of Marawi City experiences power blackout. The National Grid Corporation explains there is a monitored tripping affecting Marawi City caused by a disturbance at the Mindanao State University (MSU) load-end switching station.

It says the transmission line personnel cannot mobilize to inspect and fix the affected facility due to the lockdown in the area.

11:45 p.m.:

The British Embassy releases a travel advisory due to the clashes in Marawi.

May 24, 2017

6 a.m.:

Provincial Social Welfare Officer Hja Bai Yasmira Pangadapun of the DSWD in Marawi says as early as 6 a.m., several residents in Marawi have evacuated the city due to the ongoing crisis.

They were reportedly moving to Cagayan de Oro (in Misamis Oriental, north of Marawi) and Iligan City (in Lanao del Norte, west of Marawi).

Local officials, however, clarify there was no official directive from the city government. They say citizens are voluntarily evacuating due to the tension.

However, Marawi Interior Director Norhanie Marohombsar says the Maute members are blocking roads leading to two designated evacuation centers in the city.

Around 6:30-7 a.m., PH time:

President Rodrigo Duterte, with several members of his delegation flies back to the Philippines from Russia.

In a video posted by Asec. Mocha Uson, Duterte said:

"What makes me happy.. I'm sad, but what makes me happy that I was able to have a last minute.. Hindi last minute but it was almost an hour, a last minute meeting with President Putin and I was able to communicate all the things that I wanted to tell him. Maganda naman ang ano, positive naman ang...

Mga kababayan natin...Do not be too scared. I'm going home, I'm cutting my visit here to be with my countrymen and I will deal with the problem once I arrive. But let me just tell everybody that I have declared martial law for Mindanao. How long, well, how...it would take a year to do, then, we'll do it. If it's over within a month, I'd be happy. Pero ang martial law is martial law ah.

So kayong mga kababayan ko, you have experienced martial law. It could not be any different from what the President Marcos did. I'd be...I'd be harsh. I was asked one time during the campaign doon sa La Salle, I was asked how I would deal with terrorism, I said I will be harsh. Sinabi ko nga sa lahat eh, do not force my hand into it. I have to do it to preserve the Republic of the Philippines and the Filipino people."

9 a.m.:

In an interview with CNN Philippines' The Source, Mayor Gandamra denies the city police station and jail were set on fire.

10:15 a.m.

Vice President Leni Robredo, in a press conference in Camp Aguinaldo, said people should support the government in resolving the Marawi crisis.

"Hindi po basta basta ang laban na ito. Ang mga kalaban natin…ang kalaban po natin dito terorismo…Iyong impormasyon galing sa ating mga kababayan ay napakahalaga, para matulungan na maging matagumpay ang police operations," Robredo said.

[Translation: This is not just any fight. Our enemy here is terrorism. The information from the citizens are very important, so they can help in the success of police operations.]

"Ito po iyong panahon na kailangan tayong magkaisa. Ito iyong panahon na kailangang pangalagaan nating sabay sabay iyong seguridad ng ating bansa," she added.

Translation: This is the time that we need to unite, that we collectively protect the security of the country

12 nn.:

Exclusive: Attorney Jamal Latiph, President of the Muslim Society of the Philippines, tells CNN Philippines a group of lawyers will be challenging the declaration of martial law before the Supreme Court.

Around 4 p.m.:

In an "emergency message" posted in its website, the U.S. Embassy in Manila cautioned its citizens in the Philippines regarding the conflict in Marawi City.

"The U.S. Embassy has temporarily suspended Mission personnel travel to Mindanao pending a better understanding of the threat environment.  While the U.S. Embassy has no information that the events in Marawi City represent a direct threat to U.S. citizens or U.S. interests in the Philippines, we encourage U.S. citizens to review personal security plans, avoid large crowds and gatherings, and remain vigilant at all times," the message read.

5 p.m.:

Groups held a candle-lighting protest in Mendiola regarding the clash in Marawi City.

Around 5 p.m.:

In his arrival speech at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Pasay City, Duterte said he might extend the declaration of martial law in the whole country if he thought the international terror group had already taken a foothold in Luzon.

"Allow me to focus the problem sa Mindanao. And maybe the spillover in the Visayas and in Luzon. If I think that the ISIS has already taken foothold also in Luzon and terrorism is not really far behind I might declare Martial Law throughout the country to protect the people," Duterte said.

7:30 p.m.:

AFP Public Affairs Office chief Col. Edgar Arevalo said there was no tally of civilian casualties yet, and claimed that 13 members of the Maute group had been killed.

Arevalo added the AFP has drafted the implementing guidelines for operating during martial law, and claimed the armed forces had overall control of Marawi.

source: CNN

"Ignorance of the law excuses no man - from practicing it. "

Online Cathrina

Ano na update sa war in marawi mag 3 months na yata .. . . Kawawa ang civilians lalo na mga bata na walang kamuwang muwang sa mundo at nadamay..sana matapos na ito naghirap na nga tas may war pa mas lalong maghirap..magmahalan nalang dapat   >:D

Offline jiren

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 09:21:23 PM
  • Publish
  • 2 brgy nalang inuukupa ng mga maute. sna bukas ma liberate na ang marawi at iparada ang mga bangkay ng mga maute bros at etong si hapilon

* PT Social Groups

Facebook Comments