March 28, 2024, 04:58:34 PM

~The South China Sea Dispute~

Offline Heathcliff

• Super Moderator
  • Certified Member 4
  • ~Venus Praetorian~
on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:54 AM

http://nyti.ms/29ET48I

In a landmark ruling, the U.N. arbitration court is dismissing China's territorial claims in the South China Sea, saying it has "no historic title" to the vast maritime region.

Tuesday's ruling by the Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration answers a complaint brought by the Philippines in 2013 that accused Beijing of violating the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) with its aggressive actions on the Scarborough Shoal, a reef located about 225 kilometers off the Philippine coast.

Chinese President Xi Jinping rejected the ruling and said "China's territorial sovereignty and maritime interests in the South China Sea" will not be affected. China's foreign ministry said on its website, "The award is null and void and has no binding force."

The court said Beijing's claim of virtual sovereignty over nearly all the South China Sea under a so-called "nine-dash line" runs contrary to UNCLOS, which sets a country's maritime boundaries 22 kilometers from its coast, and control over economic activities up to 370 kilometers from its coast.  The court ruled China had violated Manila's sovereign rights by interfering with Philippine fishing and oil exploration activities in the area.

In Manila, Philippine Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay called the ruling "a milestone decision" in a press conference moments after the announcement.  Yasay said the ruling makes "an important contribution" to resolving the ongoing maritime disputes, and urged all parties "to exercise restraint and sobriety."   New Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has called for bilateral negotiations to resolve the controversy.

U.S. State Department spokesman John Kirby called the ruling "an important contribution to the shared goal of a peaceful resolution to disputes in the South China Sea."

China had boycotted the proceedings at the court, saying the body has no jurisdiction over the dispute, and insists it will not accept, recognize or implement any ruling on the South China Sea, despite being a signatory to UNCLOS along with the Philippines.  In a statement issued just hours before The Hague panel announced its decision, a spokesman for China's foreign ministry said it would not accept "any so-called material" from the court.

Analysts said the court ruling is a significant decision in favor of the Philippines.

Ernest Bower with the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies said, "China now faces reality that if it continues to assert, through actions and words" its claims in the region, "it is breaking the law."

Amarjit Singh, a senior consultant at the British think tank IHS, said the ruling "undermines China's claims in the South China Sea and potentially limits China's negotiating stance" with other countries that have also asserted claims there, including, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam.

Chinese dissatisfaction

State media Xinhua and online netizens expressed strong dissatisfaction the ruling. A Weibo user said in his posting that “We should unite behind the country’s claim and make no concessions on the South China Sea dispute even if we have to go to war,” while another user said “China should show no fear for any future economic sanction” shall China decide not to comply with the order.

In its harsh-worded editorial, Xinhua even lambasted the international arbitration court to be “the source of chaos.”

Meanwhile, the ruling is coming in the midst of the two-day EU-China bilateral talks, which began in Beijing on Tuesday. The EU advised China to stick to rules and abide by the ruling. German think tank, Mecator, said the EU would never grant China's request for a Market Economy Status if Beijing defies the court decision.

An estimated $5 trillion in global trade passes each year through the South China Sea, which is home to rich fishing grounds and a potentially vast wealth of oil, gas and other natural resources.

About 100 demonstrators marched outside the Chinese consulate in Manila, calling on Beijing to relinquish the Scarborough Shoal, shouting "Chexit Now" - a play on the term coined for Britain's controversial push to leave the European Union.

credits to Voice Of America News Blog

~  Amor Gignit Amorem. ~

My Board

~The South China Sea Dispute~
« on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline naruto789544

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 11:36:16 PM
so far china is not accepting the UN decision and is even saying that it is a farce.. they are gearing their people towards war in the event that the UN already implements it's decision... let's hope that china will still reconsider their actions...

Offline razorsharp

• Certified Member 2
  • moments of intimacy, laughter and kinship
    • Capricorn
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:46:41 AM
Not war pero low intensity conflict lang. They just want to let everybody in the neighborhood know who the big guy is.

M.I.L.K. is an epic photographic celebration of what it is to be part of a family, share the gift of friendship and more than anything else, to be loved. Inspired by the 1950s landmark photographic exhibition "The Family of Man", M.I.L.K. began as a worldwide search to develop a collection of extraordinary and geographically diverse images portraying humanity’s "Moments of Intimacy, Laughter and Kinship" (M.I.L.K.). This search took the form of a global photographic competition in 1999.

My Board

Re: ~The South China Sea Dispute~
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:46:41 AM »

Offline Heathcliff

• Super Moderator
  • Certified Member 4
  • ~Venus Praetorian~
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 06:59:19 PM

China talked about it's "sovereign historical rights" ...pertaining to the 9 dash line that encirles almost 90% of the contested waters , which runs as far as 2,000km from the Chinese mainland to within a few hundred kilometres of the Philippines, Malaysia and Vietnam. ...nung 1947 11  dash line pa yan...then napalitan nung 1950's naging 9 dash na lang...i dont think it's only about their historical sovereignty per se...given China's ever growing strong nationalism and economic rise ...this dispute over the south china sea territories is all about the areas where China demands economic rights. ...those lines marks the islands and the reefs China wanted to control at hindi yung waters within it's own boundaries..."ambiguity" that's their obvious strategy...they tried not to go openly against any international law, but they wanted to expand their space for more ambitious claims.

signatory din sila sa UNCLOS, but over the years they have created artificial islands near those disputed islands with full military control...and though the Hague court ruled against them., i dont think the Chinese will omit those lines on their maps.

Stubborn ang mga yan... :brucelee1: :brucelee1: :brucelee1:

~  Amor Gignit Amorem. ~

Offline razorsharp

• Certified Member 2
    • Capricorn
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:09:35 AM
this is just sad. everybody is making noise about this now pero we all know na wala namang mangyayari dito. china will get its way in the end. the philippine armed forces is so busy about corruption and funding its pension for its retiring personnel that it has neglected modernization and acquisition for decades.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:01:47 PM by razorsharp »

M.I.L.K. is an epic photographic celebration of what it is to be part of a family, share the gift of friendship and more than anything else, to be loved. Inspired by the 1950s landmark photographic exhibition "The Family of Man", M.I.L.K. began as a worldwide search to develop a collection of extraordinary and geographically diverse images portraying humanity’s "Moments of Intimacy, Laughter and Kinship" (M.I.L.K.). This search took the form of a global photographic competition in 1999.

My Board

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 02:09:35 AM »

Offline el pedio

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 01:22:00 PM
dapat kasi noong nag uumpisa pa lang sila dyan na gumawa ng mga reclamation ay pinigilan na ng administrasyong aquino. kaso nakipagsabwatan pa yata si trillanes at pumunta pa sa china, secretly, para maghudas. hanggang ngayon hudas pa rin ang asal sa senado.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Jonel

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:42:40 PM
Wala ayaw na ni Tatay Digong na mag patrol ang Navy labas sa 12 Nautical mile, ngayon si Digong gusto sa China pa makipag deal sa negosyo diba so lalong malabo.

Offline kiraxmisa

Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 07:06:28 AM
alarming lang na nagpaparamdam si President na mas gusto niyang maging ally ang China at Russia, di mam lang niya naisip na historical at by-law na ally ang US at dahil sa thousands na OFW at US national companies na may direct investment sa bansa, malaking dagok sa ekonomiya ang pag-away sa US. Isa pa, lalong di dapat tayo makipag-alyansa sa China at Russia dahil nasa gitna pa tayo ng laban para sa mga isla sa west philippine sea.

Offline Jonel

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 07:49:41 PM
alarming lang na nagpaparamdam si President na mas gusto niyang maging ally ang China at Russia, di mam lang niya naisip na historical at by-law na ally ang US at dahil sa thousands na OFW at US national companies na may direct investment sa bansa, malaking dagok sa ekonomiya ang pag-away sa US. Isa pa, lalong di dapat tayo makipag-alyansa sa China at Russia dahil nasa gitna pa tayo ng laban para sa mga isla sa west philippine sea.

yan ang problema the USA has already done their part in Philippine History nakipag laban na tayo sa America noon inapi na tayo ng mga Amerikano pero gayun pa man yoon ay nakaraan na at sa ngayon Amerika pa rin ang na tatanging super power at mas kilala na natin at mas subok na natin ang temperamento ng Madlang Amerikano kumpara sa publikong Tsino.

Kung babasahin mo ang history marami din na Amerikanong sibilyan ang nagbigay ng suporta sa mga Pilipino noong panahon na sakop nila tayo mga politokong gaya F.B Harrison na dating gobernador ng Pilipinas inapela niya sa gobyerno ng Estados Unidos na magkaroon tayo ng kalayaan.

Maging ang ilang mga mayayaman na negosyanteng Amerikano gaya nila Carneigy ay pabor  sa kalayaan ng sambaayanang pilipino.

marami mang kapintasan ang bansang Amerika pero ang mga mamayan nito ay subok na natin sa Tsina at Russo hindi pa tayo subok.

Ngayon ang tanong pag nag kagyera sino mas gusto mo kalaban mo Tsina o America?

Mahirap makalaban ang America sa isang digmaang economical.

Offline kiraxmisa

Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:20:19 PM
Sir @Jonel, opo, may kalayaan na tayo mula sa mga amerikano, at dapat magkaroon tayo ng independence mula sa US. Pero simple lang naman po ang punto ko, bakit mas pipiliin natin ang China na umaagaw sa mha isla natin? Kahit di na lang po US, ang issue takaga ay ang China, di dapat natin sila bigyang alyansa kapalit ng ating mga isla.

Offline Jonel

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 01:11:49 AM
Sir @Jonel, opo, may kalayaan na tayo mula sa mga amerikano, at dapat magkaroon tayo ng independence mula sa US. Pero simple lang naman po ang punto ko, bakit mas pipiliin natin ang China na umaagaw sa mha isla natin? Kahit di na lang po US, ang issue takaga ay ang China, di dapat natin sila bigyang alyansa kapalit ng ating mga isla.

I agree,

unfortunately si Duterte ang Binoto nila eh..

Pero matanong muna kita ikaw ba ay may nagawa na para sa bayan  : ) : )

Offline razorsharp

• Certified Member 2
    • Capricorn
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 02:20:46 AM
i repeat, in the end walang naman talagang pakialam ang mga top brass ng AFP sa maga bagay-bagay na ito.

all they're concerned about is kung may pondo sa AFP para sa retirement fund nila. period. 

Offline kenalo

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 04:21:20 PM
Walang pinapanigan ang pangulo. Ang root cause talaga eh nainsulto sya sa mga pronouncements ng Amerika regarding alleged rampant na EJK sa bansa. Ang totoo eh hindi naman talaga EJK ang nangyayari e. Either legit police operations ang rason ng killings o pagpapatahimik sa kapwa miyembro ng sindikato para hindi na kumanta pa.
Naniwala agad ang Amerika at ibang international groups sa media feeds kahit na hindi pa nila navavalidate kung totoo ba talaga o hindi. Dun galit si Duterte.
Ngayon, pinamukha sa atin ang mga donations na ibinigay nila lalo na nung panahon ng Yolanda. Mas lalong nagalit ang Pangulo kasi ang dating, para tayong mga pulubi na umaasa lang sa mga donasyon ng ibang bansa. Ganun kaliit ang tingin nila sa atin. Kayo ang ganyanin, hindi ba kayo magagalit?
Yung sa China at Russia naman, side comments lang yon. Ginawa nya lang na reference ang dalawang bansa as part of his response na kung plano talag ng mga allied countries na mag-pullout ng mga goodies nila, pwede pa naman tayo kumuha sa iba. It's some sort of pagtatampo.

Offline kiraxmisa

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 10:43:57 PM
Nagawa ko po para sa bayan? Ang buwis ko po ay para sa bayan. Ang boto ko ay tungkulin ko na ginawa ko para sa bayan. Ang pagsunod ko ng batas ay para sa bayan.

Offline Jonel

Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 02:26:30 AM
Nagawa ko po para sa bayan? Ang buwis ko po ay para sa bayan. Ang boto ko ay tungkulin ko na ginawa ko para sa bayan. Ang pagsunod ko ng batas ay para sa bayan.

Joke lang po yung tanong ko Sir.

Madalas kasi ganyan ang mga nakikita kong basagan ng Argumento pag dating sa politics. Biglang banat ng mga adhominem at mga strawman.

My Board

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 02:26:30 AM »

* PT Social Groups

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal