• george.estreganjr: Wife gone wild
    May 14, 2024, 01:00:56 PM
  • bumblezoid: @NarutoUzumaki salamat sa invite chief
    May 14, 2024, 09:09:44 PM
  • HolyOrder: Tagalog
    May 15, 2024, 08:25:15 AM
  • xdadskie: Melissa
    May 15, 2024, 03:57:35 PM
  • uzumakinaruto19_90: Meron po ba dyan nung Ang Usapan ni Veehvoh?
    May 16, 2024, 07:49:50 AM
  • jexxzz: Hipag
    May 17, 2024, 04:36:13 AM
  • HolyOrder: Abi
    May 17, 2024, 08:13:42 AM

Japan Has a Helicopter Destroyer -- and It's Making China Nervous

bohica · 10 · 1848

Offline bohica

Asia's in an uproar over China's declaration of an Air Defense Identification Zone, or ADIZ -- one that encompasses 1 million square miles of the East China Sea. Japan, Korea, and even the U.S. have all sent planes to overfly the new ADIZ. In Japan, they're talking about beefing up their air force, establishing a new marine corps -- maybe even building their first aircraft carrier since WWII.

China's said to be incensed by Japan's move, and considering the countries' history together, you can imagine why...

Imperial Japanese Navy cruiser Izumo, at port in occupied Shanghai, 1937.

But in fact, Japan may already have an aircraft carrier. In fact... they may already have two.

Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force helicopter destroyer JS Hyuga (DDH 181).

Over the past four years, Japan has commissioned two new ships that, by some definitions, fit the definition of "aircraft carrier." The JS Hyuga and JS Ise weigh in at 14,000 tons displacement each, and are twice as big as the Haruna-class ships they replaced. Japan calls the new vessels "helicopter destroyers," referring to their destroyer-scale size (about the same size as America's Zumwalt-class destroyer), and the fact that the flat-topped vessels carry an aerial force of helicopters.

But are they really "aircraft carriers?" For perspective, here's roughly how a Hyuga-class vessel looks relative to a "real" aircraft carrier such as the USS George Washington (CVN 73):

JS Hyuga steaming in formation with USS George Washington.

Small, right? But with each new iteration, Japan's helicopter destroyers are getting bigger. In August, Japan floated the new JS Izumo, the first of a planned two-ship production run that will add significant punching power to the Japanese fleet. Thirty-four percent larger than Hyuga, the Izumo and her sister ship (as yet unnamed) are due to be commissioned in March 2015 and March 2017, respectively. When they sail, they'll probably be carrying as many as 14 of United Technology's (NYSE: UTX  ) Sikorsky Seahawk helicopters on board.

What has China worried, though, is their potential to carry Boeing (NYSE: BA  ) Textron (NYSE: TXT  ) V-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft. That would transform the vessels into aircraft carriers by definition. Were Japan to modify the vessels -- for example, by adding additional heat-shielding to their flight decks -- the Izumos could conceivably be outfitted to launch and land Lockheed Martin's (NYSE: LMT  ) short-take-off/vertical-landing version of the F-35 stealth fighter jet, the F-35B.

Seeing the future
Whether this is actually Japan's plan for the Izumo-class ships remains unknown. But there does appear to be a trend toward the country increasing the size of its "helicopter destroyers" with each successive generation it builds. This suggests that even if Izumo isn't ultimately outfitted with F-35s, the next carrier Japan builds could be so big, that it only makes sense to put fighter jets on board.

Personally, I think that day is still a ways off -- if for no other reason, then because to date, Japan has only placed orders with Lockheed Martin to supply its Air Self-Defence Force with conventional "A"-variant F-35 fighter jets. The big clue that a "real" aircraft carrier is in the works, of course, will be when Japan places an order for F-35Bs. (To ensure you hear about that development when it happens, stay tuned to our continuing coverage of foreign military sales contracts.)

My Board

Offline xxxchoholic Rai ♥

• Not A Princess But The Queen Herself
  • Yamato Nadeshiko
    • POTW2
    • PTFM
    • Aquarius
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:39:01 AM
well if japan makes war ship again then china should be worried

'cause japan's history on naval wars is really something

they created really great ships to stand toe to toe with USA

and they even showed superior firepower..

sent from deepwell frog using insecured witch 3000
Do not fall in love with people like me.
I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible. And when I leave, you will finally understand, why storms are named after people

Offline Lord Nok Von Hauten

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:22 AM
Thank you sir bohica for this info. This a good and precise move of Japan, just to stop bullying of china to other countries... nice one...
Madali akong lapitan pero mahirap hanapin...

My Board

Re: Japan Has a Helicopter Destroyer -- and It's Making China Nervous
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline manforest

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:18:33 PM
its about time that someone in asia rises up to the challenge being put up by china....

Offline Prime™

• Optimus Princeps
  • Global Moderator
  • Certified Member 2
  • The One-eyed King
    • PTFM
    • Scorpio
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 02:44:01 PM
Japan must re-arm. Before okay lang, keep Japan at bay, we all know the havoc and hell they raised here in Asia, and namely China whom they have raped and ransacked immensely before WW2.

This time is different, China is claiming hegemony over much of Asia. There must be a real contender. Korea will not reunify, India has long ways to go and has Pakistan to contend with, so the mantle of responsibility goes to Japan as a default.

The US cannot keep much of Asia under her sphere of influence if without tangible assistance from the likes of sleeping tigers like Japan.

Sleeping, fierce and dangerous tigers like Japan.
~ Insert witty quote here ~

My Board

Re: Japan Has a Helicopter Destroyer -- and It's Making China Nervous
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 02:44:01 PM »

Offline tonistork

• Certified Member 3
  • I can be your hero baby
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:02:09 PM
mas lalong nagiging nerbyoso ang nerbyoso ng mga intsik-tong mga ito sa ginagawa ng mga hapon lately.

dapat talaga pinagbabatukan na natin mga chinese national na makasalubong natin,  ;D

"I'm not a lover, I'm a fighter"

Offline kylun

• Certified Member 2
  • hindi ko kayo tatantanan!!!
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:31:43 PM
Nakakatakot kapag na2loy ang gera ng 2 bansa n yn..mlalakas ung armas pang gera nla..

Sent from my room using wi-fi

Offline ¿m☺ÿ

• Elite Certified Member
  • Certified Member 4
  • If you want to be my friend, i'm just 1 PM away.
    • POTW
    • PTFM
    • Sagittarius
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 02:44:26 PM
Japan must re-arm. Before okay lang, keep Japan at bay, we all know the havoc and hell they raised here in Asia, and namely China whom they have raped and ransacked immensely before WW2.

This time is different, China is claiming hegemony over much of Asia. There must be a real contender. Korea will not reunify, India has long ways to go and has Pakistan to contend with, so the mantle of responsibility goes to Japan as a default.

The US cannot keep much of Asia under her sphere of influence if without tangible assistance from the likes of sleeping tigers like Japan.

Sleeping, fierce and dangerous tigers like Japan.

very well said... bro Prime

Nice topic bro Bohica

+karma for both of you

I think Japan have been brought to the edge kaya nagpapakita na rin sila ng pagkilos in stregnthening their naval force... and it is really good to know kasi, somebody needs to keep China in check and Japan is really the best to intimidate China....

Offline Itachi101

• Certified Member 2
  • The Apple Of My Eye...............................
    • Gemini
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 04:05:11 PM
sana mayron din tayong ganyan
nakaka ingit ang ibang bansa may ganyan sila

Offline radicalerror

• Selda 69
  • Certified Member 1
  • Supreme Great Ero-king
    • Cancer
Im still waiting for a gundam to appear xDDD

Sent from the Ethereal Horizon

My Board