March 27, 2024, 12:12:52 AM
  • bull28: Maybila
    March 28, 2024, 04:55:35 PM
  • bull28: Justin
    March 28, 2024, 04:58:34 PM

Saudi Arabia to build world's tallest tower that will reach 1km into to the sky

bohica · 19 · 9693

Offline bohica

(CNN) -- Dubai -- long champion of all things biggest, longest and most expensive -- will soon have some competition from neighboring Saudi Arabia.

Dubai's iconic Burj Khalifa -- the world's tallest building -- could be stripped of its Guinness title if Saudi Arabia succeeds in its plans to construct the even larger Kingdom Tower in Jeddah -- a prospect looking more likely as work begins next week, according to Construction Weekly.

Consultants Advanced Construction Technology Services (ACTS) have recently announced testing materials to build the 3,280-feet (one kilometer) skyscraper (the Burj Khalifa, by comparison, stands at a meeker 2,716-feet, or 827 meters).

The Kingdom Tower, estimated to cost $1.23 billion, would have 200 floors and overlook the Red Sea. Building it will require about 5.7 million square-feet of concrete, and 80,000 tons of steel, according to the Saudi Gazette.

Building a structure that tall, particularly on the coast, where salt water could potentially damage it, is no easy feat. The foundations, which will be 200 feet (60 meters) deep, need to be able to withstand the saltwater of the nearby ocean. As a result, ACTS will test the strength of different concretes.

Wind load is another issue for buildings of this magnitude. To counter this challenge, the tower will change shape regularly.

"Because it changes shape every few floors, the wind loads go round the building and won't be as extreme as on a really solid block," Gordon Gill explained to Construction Weekly. Gill is a partner at Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, the design architects for the project.

Delivering the concrete to higher floors will also be a challenge. Possibly, engineers could use similar methods to those employed when building the Burj Khalifa; six million cubic feet of concrete were pushed through a single pump, usually at night to ensure the temperatures were low enough to ensure it would set.

Though ambitious, building the Kingdom Tower should be feasible, according to Dr. Sang Dae Kim, the director of the Council on Tall Buildings.

"At this point in time we can build a tower that is one kilometer, maybe two kilometers. Any higher than that and we will have to do a lot of homework," he told Construction Weekly.

Source: By Daisy Carrington, for CNN April 18, 2014 -- Updated 0218 GMT (1018 HKT)

My Board

Offline kylun

• Certified Member 2
  • hindi ko kayo tatantanan!!!
parang tower of babel?? gusto  nila maabot yung langit...

Sent from my mind to the people out there...

Offline caligula

• Elite Certified Member
  • Certified Member 1
Amazing engineering feat. I live in a 40 storey condo at pagbababa ka using the elevator, you have to wait for a long time before the door open. How much more if you're on the 200th floor?

Also, does Jeddah have a high density population area like Tokyo, New York, Shanghai kaya kailangan nilang gumawa ng super tall building? Or is this just to flaunt their wealth to the world?

My Board

Offline tonistork

• Certified Member 3
  • I can be your hero baby
nilalapit lang nila ang bansa nila sa mga terrorists.

aba'y magandang target ito sa mga Al-Queda. :think:

"I'm not a lover, I'm a fighter"

Online fayt

• Global Moderator
  • Simple guy with below sea level average looks
    • POTW
    • PTFM
    • Capricorn
They can used the same 'base' technology as Burj Khalifa to cater 1km tall building...

such engineering feat. but will requires tons of hardwork.
>>Dear teachers
Di porket pare pareho kami ng sagot, nagkopyahan na kami. May sagot ba na iba iba? Ano yun, originality?
----- Shin Chan

My Board

Offline Lord Nok Von Hauten

Base sa mga kaibigan ko (sabay ganun ano) they will use same materials used in burj khalifa but there will be some option. Iba kasi ang salt content ng sea sa may bandang jeddah. Iba din kasi ang consultant nito.

As far as I remembered this project was started since 2009 then nag announce lang sila ng 2011. Ang may ari kasi nito ay si prince walid di ko lang alam kung meron pagbabago. Dati kasi kasama pa ang bechtel team tapos sa nabasa ko di na pala sila kasali sa consultancy. Baka nga meron pagbabago.

NoT sEnt duE tO ErRor!!!
Madali akong lapitan pero mahirap hanapin...

Offline -kobe-

• Certified Member 2
  • my first choice is LOVE,2nd FORGIVE,3rd KILL
    • Sagittarius
babylon is reconstruction..di nila alam ang mas destruction if GOD will bring this down again..

what we share with another ceases to be our own
     magbigayan para sa pinoytambayan
              - k o b e -

ImageBam image upload[/url]

Offline bondat

The folly of mankind : never learns!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Offline jamesbond

hmmm....air travel hazzard ito if ever... this might be really dangerous...sa terrorism attacks pwedeng pwede at madali hehehe....

Sent from my 007 iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline razorsharp

• Certified Member 2
  • moments of intimacy, laughter and kinship
    • Capricorn
eto ang hindi ko maintindihan, nagtatayo ng matataas na building sa new york, chicago, hongkong, etc mainly because of scarcity of land. wala nang mapagtayuan but up. sa gitnang silangan naman napakalaaaaaaaawak ng disyerto. baket ka magtatayo pataas??
 ??? ???

M.I.L.K. is an epic photographic celebration of what it is to be part of a family, share the gift of friendship and more than anything else, to be loved. Inspired by the 1950s landmark photographic exhibition "The Family of Man", M.I.L.K. began as a worldwide search to develop a collection of extraordinary and geographically diverse images portraying humanity’s "Moments of Intimacy, Laughter and Kinship" (M.I.L.K.). This search took the form of a global photographic competition in 1999.

Online fayt

• Global Moderator
  • Simple guy with below sea level average looks
    • POTW
    • PTFM
    • Capricorn
eto ang hindi ko maintindihan, nagtatayo ng matataas na building sa new york, chicago, hongkong, etc mainly because of scarcity of land. wala nang mapagtayuan but up. sa gitnang silangan naman napakalaaaaaaaawak ng disyerto. baket ka magtatayo pataas??
 ??? ???

simple lang... iba pa rin ang feat ng isang lugar kung may trademark ka na hindi pa nagagawa ng iba tulad neto....
>>Dear teachers
Di porket pare pareho kami ng sagot, nagkopyahan na kami. May sagot ba na iba iba? Ano yun, originality?
----- Shin Chan

Offline razorsharp

• Certified Member 2
  • moments of intimacy, laughter and kinship
    • Capricorn
tignan nyo yung bagong headquarters ng apple. di nila kelangan ng mataas na building pero wag ka!! haneppp.  :sipol:

M.I.L.K. is an epic photographic celebration of what it is to be part of a family, share the gift of friendship and more than anything else, to be loved. Inspired by the 1950s landmark photographic exhibition "The Family of Man", M.I.L.K. began as a worldwide search to develop a collection of extraordinary and geographically diverse images portraying humanity’s "Moments of Intimacy, Laughter and Kinship" (M.I.L.K.). This search took the form of a global photographic competition in 1999.

Offline raisingsun

may haka haka na kaya dina kasama ang Becthel as consultant kasi nandiyan na ang SBG....

di lang yan... 2012 nung delayed ng tatlong buwan sahod ng mga SBG people ay dito daw ginamit ang pera for bond.

:o

Offline spidey

• Chix and Tsonx
  • Certified Member 3
  • FHM - Former Hero Member
    • PTFM
wow tallest one.... showing how rich they are... ??? ??? ???

"ang addict sa  PT.. maski i rehab addict pa din.."

Offline jamesbond

with the arabs' vast wealth i think this is doable... only perhaps the story of the tower of babel will not re-occur again:.. hmmm....

My Board

* PT Social Groups

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal