• george.estreganjr: Wife gone wild
    May 14, 2024, 01:00:56 PM
  • bumblezoid: @NarutoUzumaki salamat sa invite chief
    May 14, 2024, 09:09:44 PM
  • HolyOrder: Tagalog
    May 15, 2024, 08:25:15 AM
  • xdadskie: Melissa
    May 15, 2024, 03:57:35 PM
  • uzumakinaruto19_90: Meron po ba dyan nung Ang Usapan ni Veehvoh?
    May 16, 2024, 07:49:50 AM
  • jexxzz: Hipag
    May 17, 2024, 04:36:13 AM
  • HolyOrder: Abi
    May 17, 2024, 08:13:42 AM
  • zynecon: munting tinig
    May 19, 2024, 03:36:52 PM
  • kelboy24: It's nice to be back.. After how many years.. Member since College days 2009 😆
    May 20, 2024, 01:34:37 AM

5 Jaw-Dropping Medical Uses for the iPhone

bohica · 16 · 6374

Offline bohica

on: November 24, 2013, 09:13:57 AM
Over the past few years, tech and health-care companies have demonstrated that Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) iPhone has plenty of potential as a portable medical device.

Beyond being a phone, the iPhone is a powerful ultraportable computer with a touchscreen, onboard cameras, a microphone, and motion sensors. Those features make it a viable replacement for the brains of many modern medical devices -- allowing for the creation of much cheaper and smaller systems.

Let's look at five surprising medical uses for the iPhone, and some familiar companies that are associated with these new uses, such as Sanofi (NYSE: SNY  ) , Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) , Qualcomm (NASDAQ: QCOM  ) , and Google (NASDAQ: GOOG  ) .

The iPhone as a glucose meter

Sanofi recognized that the iPhone and the iPod Touch could be used as replacements for traditional glucose meters, since many patients already carries them around on a regular basis. In 2011, the FDA approved Sanofi's iBGStar, a small dongle that attaches to the bottom of either device and reads compatible test strips.

The device is then used like a regular glucose meter, but the accompanying app on the smartphone is considerably smarter than traditional devices -- it automatically synchronizes the blood glucose readings over the Internet, giving the user an accurate record of reference that can be shared with others.

My Board

5 Jaw-Dropping Medical Uses for the iPhone
« on: November 24, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »

Offline bohica

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:14:44 AM
The iPhone as a blood pressure monitor

The Withings Blood Pressure monitor connects an external blood pressure cuff to the iPhone, turning the iPhone into a control panel for the device. It is also compatible with the iPod Touch and the iPad.

The monitor also automatically records the readings, dates them, and keeps an accurate log of previous blood pressure readings to share with other people.

The device also comes with the option to store the collected data in Microsoft's electronic health records service, HealthVault, which health-care professionals can access.

Offline bohica

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:42 AM
The iPhone as a portable ECG device

Last December, the FDA approved AliveCor, a device that turns the iPhone into an ECG/EKG (electrocardiograph) reader. The device attaches to the back of the iPhone to read and record a patient's heart rate via an app.

The $100 device, invented by Oklahoma cardiologist David Albert, can be used to conduct a regular ECG test to assess cardiac problems, such as rhythmic disturbances. The device was recently ported to Google Android and has also been approved for veterinary use.

The low cost of the device and widespread availability of smartphones make the AliveCor an ideal device for treating patients on the field in developing countries. By comparison, a lower-end ECG system can cost roughly $1,200.

Qualcomm is a major investor in AliveCor, which is in line with the tech giant's stated long-term goals of merging technology with medicine. In August,

Qualcomm and Palomar Health started Glassomics, an idea incubator focused on focusing on the development of new portable and wearable health-care devices, with a specific focus on Google Glass and smartphones.

My Board

Re: 5 Jaw-Dropping Medical Uses for the iPhone
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »

Offline bohica

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 09:16:29 AM
The iPhone as a dermatologist

Smartphone cameras are improving at a breakneck pace. Although the 8-megapixel camera on the iPhone 5S still doesn't hold a candle to Nokia's whopping 41 megapixels on its Lumia 1020, the iPhone's camera is more than powerful enough to analyze photos of skin problems.

A major advantage that smartphones have over traditional cameras is that they can analyze photos and attempt to match the photo to similar ones in color, size, and shape through programmed algorithms. In addition, the photos can be documented in detail for future reference and shared with others.

This makes it a highly useful tool for diagnosing skin problems. For example, FotoFinder has released the Handyscope Dermatoscope, an attachable case and lens which provides 20x magnification for the iPhone's camera for close-up shots of moles and other skin conditions. The device doesn't actually scan and analyze the moles -- it documents them and maps them out on a virtual patient.

The App Store has plenty of other apps that try to scan for cancerous moles through algorithms and digitally sent photos. However, trials have shown that these apps can be wrong up to 30% of the time, so they shouldn't be considered reliable replacements for professional dermatologists just yet

Offline bohica

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:17:13 AM
The iPhone ultrasound

Last but not least, the iPhone can also be used as an ultrasound device.

Mobisante's MobiUS SP1 ultrasound system for the iPhone was approved in 2011. Like the other devices mentioned in this article, the MobiUS is an attachable ultrasound device which uses the iPhone as a display and record keeping device.

Traditional ultrasound machines can cost from $10,000 to $200,000, while the MobiUS system costs between $7,000 and $8,000.

Therefore, Mobisante's smaller and cheaper device could be a very attractive product for rural areas and developing countries, since ultrasounds are necessary for a wide variety of medical conditions, such as cardiovascular and gastrointestinal problems.

My Board

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:17:13 AM »

Offline IORI™

• Certified Member 3
  • n if u complain once more u'll meet an army of me!
    • PTFM
    • Sagittarius
Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 11:41:29 AM
WTF is that real?  ??? laglag talaga panga ko dito ts ah!! galing  ::)
Don't forget to click like as an appreciation to topics/replies

.. its time to get alive! .. its time to represent!

Offline bohica

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 11:53:32 AM
WTF is that real?  ??? laglag talaga panga ko dito ts ah!! galing  ::)

Of course they are real.  Otherwise, I could have posted in the Jokes thread.  LOL.

Here are the links to the product page:

Mobisante ultrasound probe: http://www.mobisante.com/products/product-overview/

Withings blood pressure monitor: http://www.withings.com/bloodpressuremonitor

Sanofi glucose meter: http://www.bgstar.com/web/ibgstar

Offline Kurimasu

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 05:30:23 PM
Pero naka mahal naman yung extended devices na yan tapos baka kailangan pro din ang mga apps, syempre mahal din... Pero it will be a great help.

Sent From My Sharona Using Tapa King... /m/...

SUNDAY GROUP - BULALO SOCIETY (SG - BS)

Offline bohica

Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 06:00:11 PM
Pero naka mahal naman yung extended devices na yan tapos baka kailangan pro din ang mga apps, syempre mahal din... Pero it will be a great help.

Sent From My Sharona Using Tapa King... /m/...

I think in the long run it will be much cheaper considering also the time you have to go to the hospital, the fees, etc.

I will get that ultrasound module/device and ask all my pregnant female friends to try it.  For free of course, but I will show them how.

Doc. Bohica, OB-GYN

Offline fayt

• Global Moderator
  • Simple guy with below sea level average looks
    • POTW
    • PTFM
    • Capricorn
Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 07:06:51 PM
nice accessories

at least digital, pero can compare din naman sa ibang specialize na medical na ganun din ang function pero siguro much cheaper (kung cheap nga!)..

compare nyo na lang hahaha...
>>Dear teachers
Di porket pare pareho kami ng sagot, nagkopyahan na kami. May sagot ba na iba iba? Ano yun, originality?
----- Shin Chan

Offline eric27

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 04:56:32 PM
amazing and very innovative.. gawin medical equipments ang cellphone.. hahah galing

Offline jamesbond

Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 04:59:58 PM
nice share sir bohica... i guess your projections were right, its going to be cheaper in the long run... thanks again sir..

Sent from my 007 iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nopperabo

Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 09:55:46 AM
This is really a great apps considering this will really help those with acute diseases..they can actually monitor their health anywhere..hopefully lng it is cheaper than going to hospital.
Live hIGH. Live MightY. Live RighteouslY?(i hope i am!)

Offline rye

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 09:50:55 AM
Im not Sure if this is real....but thanks for the post

Offline its4fun

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 12:13:17 PM
nice. sana totoo yan. maraming adik sa gadget ang makikinabang din nyan.. hehe

My Board

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »

* PT Social Groups

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal